Thank you for your interest in La Puerta Abierta and our work in and around Santiago Atitlan, Guatemala. We offer a variety of opportunities for you to volunteer with our programs. Whether as a volunteer, student, or traveler – there are a number of rewarding ways you can collaborate with us in our center.
La Puerta Abierta looks for motivated individuals that are hard-working, proactive, creative, and responsible.
- Opportunity to interact closely with children
- Assist our local staff
- Gain experience in the field of education and literacy in the developing world
- Contribute to our vision to empower children to become innovative problem solvers
- Learn Spanish
Our program requires that the volunteers fully cover all costs associated with his/her assignment and travels.
- Teacher support in the school
- Read books in local communities by participating in the Traveling Library
- Participate in creative art projects in the classroom
- Co-teach classes
- Work with the teachers to design new curriculum
- Teach English
- Categorize books and create a database for our book collection
- Participate in the teen reading group and develop activities
- Host writing, music, and art workshops with our students
- And share any of your talents or abilities that will help us accomplish our mission as a library and a school in Santiago Atitlan
Please contact us here if you are interested in volunteering with La Puerta Abierta!